Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bavarian Apple Torte from Joy of Baking

So those apples that I referenced in the last post? I've made a few things with them, but am still looking for that WOW, THAT'S ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTLEY FANTASTIC apple recipe.

Bavarian Apple Torte


 I burned the top just a bit in my quest for a golden look. Luckily, it didn't affect the taste.

So it's not really a true to the recipe, since I didn't have almonds or a spring board pan. I also didn't have any confectioner's sugar, so I just whirred some white sugar around in the food processor until it was powdery. My next step to halve the recipe. It's usually dessert for only 2 people, so I didn't want the torte to sit out for longer than necessary if we didn't finish it immediately. You'll notice that in the pictures, the apple slices extend to the edges of the baking dish. That's because they're in little ramekins...our apples are not gargantuan here in Washington.

I enjoyed working with this recipe. It was really easy to make, and the shortbread crust was my favorite part. If I make it again, I'll probably take the skin off the apples (I forgot then got lazy), and more cream cheese. Always. More. Cream. Cheese. Considering that I lacked some of the ingredients/utensils, baked them in ramekins (which was more than enough for 2), and burned the top, it was a success because it was still edible (and tasty).

No comments: