Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back to Breakfasts

Cheese grits and bacon bits

Do people eat grits in the Pacific NW? I don't see them often in grocery stores here. My family loves grits...It has a slightly grainy texture that can also be creamy. Depending on your preference, it can be served as a solid block (like polenta), or porridge form. 


I've noticed the grits purchased here in WA need more water and a longer cooking time than those purchased in the south. Most people cook grits with water only. I like to substitute 1/3 of the water with milk for a creamier result. Although I've heard that grits can be served sweetened, I've never seen it that way. Probably because that would be really freaking gross. Grits come with bacon and eggs in the south, not brown sugar and cinnamon. Why not just eat oatmeal if you want a sweetened porridge?

No comments: