Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

Red, white, and blue: Strawberry, butter, and blue velvet cake to celebrate!

 Original idea (with directions) from "17 and Baking" here.

Edit (02/19/2012)-- Since this picture has been shared on Pinterest recently (hello, pinteresters!), I thought I should add some tips for this cake: 
1. Don't do like I did and try to make each layer a different flavor. It was a bit over ambitious, and it didn't taste right. People were more impressed with the design than the flavor. Stick with a good white cake recipe, and you're good to go.
2. If you can, use gel food coloring for better and brighter colors. I used liquid, which was fine, but I had to use A LOT of the food coloring to get bolder colors. With liquid coloring, it also took some experimenting to get the colors right, which led to over mixing the batter, and a tougher cake.
3. I always love baking, but this cake was one of my funnest (?) projects. Please make this cake, and please credit Elissa at 17 and Baking for her idea.

Thanks for visiting! I hope you'll share your experiences if you make this cake!

No comments: